Home » Archive

Articles in the Monasteries Category

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[22 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Secu Monastery from Neamț County

 
Secu Monastery
 
 
 
The beginnings of the old monastic settlement in the commune of Vânători-Neamţ are connected to the hermitage Zosima the hermit settled here in 1530. The small church of the hermitage was commissioned by Prince Petru Rareş (1527-1546), on the site of the current church in the monastery graveyard. Then, Nestor Ureche, the high “vornic” [Minister of Internal Affairs] and father of the chronicler Grigore Ureche, commissioned a new church, in 1602, dedicated to St John’s the Baptist Beheading, and part of the households implements necessary to the monastic community.
The …

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[15 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Neamţ Monastery from Neamț County

 
Neamţ Monastery
 
 
 
In the commune Vânători-Neamţ, 15 km north-west from Târgu-Neamţ, the visitors may find the oldest and most important monastic establishment in Moldova. Over the centuries, its founding fathers were the voivodes Petru I Muşat (1375-1391), Alexandru cel Bun (1400-1432), and Ştefan cel Mare (1457-1504), the last having commissioned here the most beautiful of the churches built during his reign, when visitors can admire the miracle-making Virgin Mary icon, painted in 665 in Israel [???].
Within the large and strongly fortified precinct of the monastery, there are two churches (The Ascension …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[14 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Agapia Convent from Neamț County

 
Agapia Convent
 
 
 
The convent seems to have taken its name from the hermit Agape, who erected the first monastic site around 1380, in Agapia Veche. The current religious establishment, 2 km downstream from the former, was commissioned by the Minister of War [“hatman”] Gavril, Prince Vasile Lupu’s brother, in 1644. Throughout the centuries, the monastery underwent repeated looting, destruction, or even fires, but it was restored and consolidated time and time again.
The inside painting adds a special value to this monument as it was painted by the very young Nicolae Grigorescu …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[11 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Văratec Convent from Neamț County

 
Văratec Convent
 
 
 
We owe the current church of the largest convent in Romania – built on the site of the former building commissioned by Sister Olimpiada, the Mother Superior, and by father confessor Iosif in 1785 – to the idea and efforts of Sister Nazaria, the Mother Superior between 1808 and 1812. The two bell-shaped domes add to the uniqueness of this neo-Byzantine religious site. Inside, between the nave and the narthex, there are two massive pillars, with Ionic capitals. The painting on the inside walls date to the nineteenth century.
The …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[6 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Horaiţa Monastery from Neamț County

 
Horaiţa Monastery
 
 
 
Located in the commune Crăcăoani, the monastery was built in 1824, by archimandrite Irinarh Roset, with the support of the Metropolitan Bishop Veniamin Costachi, on the site of a fifteenth-century wooden church. Today’s church, a Byzantine-style monumental building, with eight domes and very thick stonewalls, was commissioned by the following Father Superior, archimandrite Ermoghen Buhuş, between 1848 and 1867. The monastery has an icon of Virgin Mary, believed to make miracles. The iconostasis, crafted in Vienna in gilded wood, is a unique piece of work with the pulpit above …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[4 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Almaş Monastery from Neamț County

 
Almaş Monastery
 
Located in the commune Gârcina, the monastery continues the tradition of the hermitage commissioned in 1659 by an Almaş family – shepherds who fled the Hungarian oppressive regime in Haţeg. Destroyed by a Tatar invasion, the hermitage was rebuilt in 1715 by Lady Ecaterina, the wife of Iordache Cantacuzino, the sword bearer, but the Greek Eterists ravaged it again in 1821, Rebuilt in stone by Chancellor Lupu Balş and monk Rufail, it became a nun hermitage wherefrom nuns were removed in 1959. When it reopened – in 1987 – …

http://www.visitneamt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02