Home » Archive

Articles in the Churches Category

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[29 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Petru Vodă Monastery from Neamț County

 
Petru Vodă Monastery
 
 
 
It is located in a clearing, 6 km away from DN 15B that connects the Poiana Largului crossroads coming from Târgu-Neamţ. Although recently built (1991), the monastery bearing many of the medieval style elements, has quickly become a place for pilgrimage. It is also the only church with outside painted walls in the Neamţ county. In 2006, father Gheorghe Calciu-Dumitreasa, one of the most active anti-Communist dissidents, a former cellmate of the founder of this holy place, was buried here.
 
Photo Album
 
 
Video
 
 

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[25 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Sihăstria Monastery from Neamț County

 
Sihăstria Monastery
 
 
 
Continuing our itinerary, only 3 km away, we come across one of the most blessed hermitages of the area, where the hermits secluded here from the Neamţ and Secu monasteries spent their life in humbleness and prayer, seeking peace and solitude.
Later on, the bishop Ghedeon of Huşi commissioned a hermitage in 1655, which was rebuilt between 1824 and 1826, of river stones and bricks owing to the efforts of Veniamin Costache, the Metropolitan Bishop. The then newly built church, dedicated to The Virgin’s Birth, was built in the classical …

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[22 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Secu Monastery from Neamț County

 
Secu Monastery
 
 
 
The beginnings of the old monastic settlement in the commune of Vânători-Neamţ are connected to the hermitage Zosima the hermit settled here in 1530. The small church of the hermitage was commissioned by Prince Petru Rareş (1527-1546), on the site of the current church in the monastery graveyard. Then, Nestor Ureche, the high “vornic” [Minister of Internal Affairs] and father of the chronicler Grigore Ureche, commissioned a new church, in 1602, dedicated to St John’s the Baptist Beheading, and part of the households implements necessary to the monastic community.
The …

Attractions, Churches, Hermitages, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[15 Jan 2018 | No Comment | ]
Neamţ Monastery from Neamț County

 
Neamţ Monastery
 
 
 
In the commune Vânători-Neamţ, 15 km north-west from Târgu-Neamţ, the visitors may find the oldest and most important monastic establishment in Moldova. Over the centuries, its founding fathers were the voivodes Petru I Muşat (1375-1391), Alexandru cel Bun (1400-1432), and Ştefan cel Mare (1457-1504), the last having commissioned here the most beautiful of the churches built during his reign, when visitors can admire the miracle-making Virgin Mary icon, painted in 665 in Israel [???].
Within the large and strongly fortified precinct of the monastery, there are two churches (The Ascension …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[14 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Agapia Convent from Neamț County

 
Agapia Convent
 
 
 
The convent seems to have taken its name from the hermit Agape, who erected the first monastic site around 1380, in Agapia Veche. The current religious establishment, 2 km downstream from the former, was commissioned by the Minister of War [“hatman”] Gavril, Prince Vasile Lupu’s brother, in 1644. Throughout the centuries, the monastery underwent repeated looting, destruction, or even fires, but it was restored and consolidated time and time again.
The inside painting adds a special value to this monument as it was painted by the very young Nicolae Grigorescu …

Churches, Monasteries, Touristic Promotion »

[11 Dec 2017 | No Comment | ]
Văratec Convent from Neamț County

 
Văratec Convent
 
 
 
We owe the current church of the largest convent in Romania – built on the site of the former building commissioned by Sister Olimpiada, the Mother Superior, and by father confessor Iosif in 1785 – to the idea and efforts of Sister Nazaria, the Mother Superior between 1808 and 1812. The two bell-shaped domes add to the uniqueness of this neo-Byzantine religious site. Inside, between the nave and the narthex, there are two massive pillars, with Ionic capitals. The painting on the inside walls date to the nineteenth century.
The …

http://www.visitneamt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02